Our History

The Cogdell house was designated a Granbury Historical Landmark by the city of Granbury Historic commission December 5, 2000.

The Cogdell house was built in 1905 for First National Bank President, Daniel C. Cogdell and his family after their 22-room Victorian mansion was completely destroyed in a fire.

Daniel C. Cogdell, along with his wife and children settled in Granbury in 1872. In 1883, Mr. Cogdell and fellow businessman John Traylor formed their own private bank and loan company. The venture was so successful that in 1887, with three other businessmen they founded the First National Bank of Granbury. Mr. Cogdell served as President of the Hood County Milling Company, Granbury Quarry Company, and owned thousands of acres of ranch land, cattle and race horses. He lived in Granbury until his death in 1945 and is buried with his wife, Lucy, and several of their children in the Granbury Cemetary.

The Cogdell house was designed by Mr. Cogdell’s friend, Wyatt Hedrick. Wyatt Hedrick was a famous architect, the Will Rogers Coliseum, the Texas Hotel and the Shamrock Hilton in Houston are just a few of the designs to his credits. It took three master cabinetmakers to build this fifteen room home.

The home has its original maple floors downstairs, along with the original loblolly pine floors upstairs. The home has most of its original windows. The home was built with two bathrooms and the 6 1/2 foot claw foot bathtubs are still on the property in the cottages. Central heat from a coal furnace was part of the original plans for the Cogdell house, and it was piped up from the limestone basement (part of the original 1885 mansion). The 1885 fence that surrounds most of the property is still present, as is the original storm cellar.